If you are looking for a way to reduce your plastic waste and create something useful, you might want to try ecobricking. Ecobricking is a simple and effective method of turning plastic bottles into building blocks that can be used for various purposes. In this blog post, I will explain what ecobricks are, how to make them, and why they are beneficial for the environment and the community.
What are ecobricks?
Ecobricks are plastic bottles that are filled with used plastic materials, such as wrappers, bags, packaging, and so on. The plastic is cut or torn into small pieces and packed tightly into the bottle using a stick. The goal is to make the bottle as solid and dense as possible, so that it can support weight and be used as a building block. The density of an ecobrick should be between 0.33 g/ml and 0.7 g/ml, which means that it can withstand the pressure of a person standing on it without deforming.
Why make ecobricks?
Ecobricks have many advantages over throwing away or recycling plastic. First of all, ecobricks prevent plastic from ending up in landfills, oceans, or incinerators, where it can harm wildlife, pollute the air and water, and contribute to climate change. Ecobricks also reduce the need for new plastic production, which saves energy and resources.
Secondly, ecobricks enable people to create useful items from their waste, such as furniture, garden walls, playgrounds, and other structures. Ecobricks can be used to build low-cost and durable solutions for various needs and challenges. Ecobricks also foster creativity and collaboration among people who share their ideas and projects online or in person.
Thirdly, ecobricks raise awareness of the environmental and social impacts of plastic consumption. By making ecobricks, people can see how much plastic they use and how they can reduce it. Ecobricks also encourage people to take responsibility for their waste and to act as stewards of the planet.
How to make ecobricks?
Making ecobricks is easy and fun. All you need is a transparent PET plastic bottle (any size), a stick (wooden or bamboo), and some used plastic materials (clean and dry). Here are the steps to follow:
1. Cut or tear the plastic into small pieces (about 2 cm by 2 cm).
2. Start with the bottom of the bottle and add a layer of plastic.
3. Use the stick to push and pack the plastic firmly into the bottle.
4. Rotate the bottle with each push to ensure even packing.
5. Repeat steps 2-4 until the bottle is full.
6. Make sure there are no gaps or air pockets in the bottle.
7. Screw the cap on tightly.
8. Weigh your ecobrick and compare it to the volume of the bottle (in ml) to calculate the density.
9. Label your ecobrick with your name, date, weight, density, location, and type of plastic used.
10. Join or start an ecobrick project in your area or online.
Congratulations! You have just made an ecobrick!
Ecobricking is a great way to transform your plastic waste into valuable recourse that can benefit yourself, your community, and the environment. By making ecobricks, you are not only reducing your ecological footprint, but also creating positive change in the world.
So what are you waiting for? Grab a bottle and start ecobricking today!